Are you being hassled for a

Parking Fine or Penalty Charge Notice?

We offer help and advice to people with parking fines in the UK.

family helped to deal with parking fines

Parking penalty charges/Penalty Charge Notice

Parking tickets issued by the local council are different to criminal fines, and are often called ‘penalty charge notices (PCNs)’.

The council enforce the tickets through the Traffic Enforcement Centre in Northampton. Special rules apply to this type of parking ticket.

Fixed parking penalties are issued by the police and the rules are different. Contact us if you are not sure which type of parking penalty you have.

Speak to our team for help on

how to deal with the bailiff

Call Today 01872 248 570

Lines Open Monday–Friday 8am–7pm

Calls charged at local / national rates.

Or apply online for an instant response...

Get Bailiff Help Now

By clicking ‘Get Help Today’ you are confirming you are willing to receive information regarding debt solutions via a telephone call, email and text message and that you confirm you have read and agreed to our Privacy Policy.

Sandra Roland

five stars for dealing with
Very Helpful Solved my Issue Very quickly

I was very upset when I first contacted My bailiff advice, the first thing they did was explain that I didn't need to worry. The whole team were very helpful and I now don't dread the postman or my phone ringing.

Help and advice you can trust...

What is a penalty charge notice?

Most councils have the power to enforce parking penalties under the Traffic Management Act 2004. These parking penalties are not treated as criminal offences. They are often known as a ‘parking penalty charge’ or a 'penalty charge notice’ (PCN). You cannot be sent to prison for not paying a parking penalty.

Typically your council will have its own traffic wardens (called civil enforcement officers) who issue penalty charge notices, for example, for parking on double yellow lines, in a permit only zone, on zigzag lines or in parking meter zones.

There are also other types of traffic penalty such as the London congestion charge, penalties for vehicle emissions and penalties for bus lane offences. The procedure for dealing with these types of penalties is slightly different. If you have one of these penalties, contact us for advice.

Who is responsible for paying the penalty charge notice?

The ‘registered keeper’ of the car is the person or organisation recorded at the Driving and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA) as being the keeper of the vehicle. This may be a different person to the ‘owner’ of the car. Although the owner of the car is legally responsible for the penalty charge, the council will normally assume that the owner is also the registered keeper.

This means that if you are the registered keeper, the council will assume you are responsible for the penalty. If you are not also the owner, you should not be responsible for the penalty but you will need to prove this to the council.

If you are the owner and the registered keeper, then you will normally be responsible for the penalty even if you were not driving at the time. There are some situations in which this may not be the case. Contact us for advice.

Bailiff Advice

Learn about your rights and exactly how to deal with a bailiff at your door.

Success Stories

We've helped thousands of people repay their council tax arrears

Company Values

We're serious about helping people because we've had bailiff problems too.

Get in touch with us